Cymraeg
Timeline

Period 1610

Wedal rd Brook & Roath Park Lake (Stephen & Bernice), C.1600-1700

The origins of Nant Wedal and Nant Fawr met at bottom of Wedal road. ‘Wedal’ road’s name may be a derivative of ‘Waed’, which is Welsh for blood (Nant is brook). The name is thought to have originated from 1600 or 1700 when a bloody battle occurred on the ‘Great Heath’ and the brook went red with blood.

Cardiff is the general resort of pirates

Referring to an account from 1577

Item written July 1871

Source: Local studies, Cardiff library

Period 1840

Sea lock, Glamorgan canal, 2 July 1798

Source: Gloucester Journal

Coal Staith, Mouth of the river Taff, 1820

First Coal Staith (Powell’s) in the River Taff at the Bank, wrongly described in the print as Pier head.

Source: History of the Port of Cardiff

Cardiff Docks, C.1844

PRICE, J. (fl.1842 – fl.1876)
Cardiff Docks
Date- 1844
Media- oil on canvas
Size- 34.3 x 50.8 cm
Acquired- 1917;
Gift; Mrs Lester Jones
Accession Number- NMW A 5028_National Museum Wales

River Taff, St. Mary Street C.1840

Before the diversion of the river Taff

Source: History of the Port of Cardiff

Glamorgan canal, St Mary street, C.1826

From an original pencil drawing by John Wick Bennett

Source: History of the Port of Cardiff

Glamorganshire Canal, C.1850

by Alexander Wilson

Looking at St. John’s church

(c) Cardiff Council; Supplied by The Public Catalogue Foundation

Cardiff Bridge, C.1850

Alexander Wilson. Oil on canvas, 43 x 66.1 cm. Collection: Amgueddfa Cymru – National Museum Wales.

(c) National Museum of Wales / Amgueddfa Cymru; Supplied by The Public Catalogue Foundation

Cardiff from the River Taff, 1850

Media- oil on metal
Size- 31.7 x 43.2 cm
Acquired- 1917;
Gift; Mrs Lester Jones
Accession Number- NMW A 3769_National Museum Wales

Cardiff castle and river Taff, 1775

The West Gate, Cardiff, by Paul Sandby, 1776
Paul Sandby (1730 or 1731-1809)
Description: British painter and engraver
Date of birth/death: 1730 or 17319 November 1809
Location of birth/death: Nottingham London
Work location: London, Scotland, Woolwich

Cardiff Bridge and Castle 1795-6

Joseph Mallord William Turner (1775-1851)
River Taff, bridge just before castle .
Medium: Graphite and watercolour on paper
Dimensions: Support: 230 x 350 mm
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856.
Source Tate Museum website: ref D00702

Boat weighing machine on Glamorganshire Canal, 1940

North Road, Cardiff
Source: Canal and River Trust, ref: BW192/3/2/5/1/1

Boat weighing machine, Glamorganshire Canal, 1940

North Road, Cardiff
Source: Canal and River Trust, ref: BW192/3/2/5/1/2

Period 1886

Loss of four Lives, River Ely, 1880

River Ely

Glasgow Herald (Glasgow, Scotland), Monday, October 25, 1880; Issue 256.

19th Century British Newspapers, Cardiff library local studies (online ressources)

Bute Docks Water Supply 1884

Source – Glamorgan archives

Extensive dock projects at Cardiff, 1863

The Times (London, England), Thursday, Dec 31, 1863; pg. 11; Issue 24756.
(source Gale via Cardiff Central Library Local Studies)

The weiring of the Taff, 1885

The meeting of the promotors and the Cardiff Corporation Committee.

Western Mail (Cardiff, Wales), Saturday, May 30, 1885; Issue 5006

(source Gale via Cardiff Central Library Local Studies)

The storm, 1878

The effects a storm had on cardiff in 1878.
Western Mail (Cardiff, Wales), Friday, October 11, 1878; Issue 2942.
(source Gale via Cardiff Central Library Local Studies)

Low water pier, Penarth Head, 1888

Author: JONES, Evan Rowland.
Title: Industrial rivers of the United Kingdom … By various well-known experts, etc. [Edited by Evan Rowland Jones. Reprinted from the “Shipping World”.]
Publisher: T. Fisher Unwin
Place of Publication:London
Date of Publication:1888
Page:163
Volume:0
Shelf mark: lsidyv3beed4dd

Chain ferry, Ely river, 1865

Before a subway was built in 1899, this chain ferry transported commuters across the Ely river, from the Docks to Penarth.It was introduced in June 1865 when Penarth Dock opened and was an improvement on the rowing boats that were preciously used.

For one penny passengers passengers could make the short crossing on what was really a large covered craft propelled by two men working a windlass. Soloman Andrews ran horse buses from Stuart Street to connect with the ferry.

James Dock House above the Gabalfa Lock C.1880

On the right are the Lock House and other cottages at the upper end of the lock. John James founded his boat building business after leaving his native Cardiganshire in the 1860’s. By the early 1880’s he had three dry docks on the bank of the Canal. His son John Rees James succeeded him in 1908 and the firm continues until 1927 when work dried up.

One of three images taken from Stewart Williams ‘Cardiff Yesterday’ Book 17, Images No.s 39, 40 and 41.

In his acknowledgements at the start of the book he thanks Mrs and Mrs Ron Gorman for the images.

Mynacdy Lock and Lock House C1880

With the Excelsior Wire and Rope Works in the background.

One of three images taken from Stewart Williams ‘Cardiff Yesterday’ Book 17, Images No.s 39, 40 and 41.

In his acknowledgements at the start of the book he thanks Mrs and Mrs Ron Gorman for the images.

Cottages Lower (Eastern) end of Gabalfa Lock C.1880

Buildings to the right were the Cambrian Patent Fuel Works

One of three images taken from Stewart Williams ‘Cardiff Yesterday’ Book 17, Images No.s 39, 40 and 41.

In his acknowledgements at the start of the book he thanks Mrs and Mrs Ron Gorman for the images.

Docked sail boats, Penarth Marina (1883)

Source: Glamorgan Archives, ref 578/gpd

Period 1900 — 1902

Winter Sunlight on Glamorgan Canal, 1908

by Edgar Herbert Thomas

Oil on cardboard, 30 x 22 cm

(c) Pembrokeshire County Council’s Museums Service; Supplied by The Public Catalogue Foundation

The Saltmead Swamp, again Discussed by the Health Committee, 1898

Saltmead Swamp (Grangetown)

Western Mail (Cardiff, Wales), Tuesday, December 20, 1898; Issue 9227

19th Century British Newspapers, Cardiff library local studies (online resources)

The Saltmead Swamp, visit of the Health Committee, 1898

(Grangetown)

Western Mail (Cardiff, Wales), Thursday, December 15, 1898; Issue 9223.

19th Century British Newspapers, Cardiff library local studies (online ressources)

Rights in the river Taff, 1894

The action against Cardiff Corporation.
South Wales Daily News
(Third Edition)
31st January 1894
(source newspapers.library.wales)

Cardiff Docks, 1894

Cardiff Docks

Lionel Walden. Oil on Canvas, 127×193 cm. Musée d’Orsay, Paris, France.

Entrance to Cardiff Docks, Evening, 1893-1897

By Lionel Walden
Date painted: 1893–1897
Oil on canvas, 150 x 200.5 cm

(c) National Museum of Wales / Amgueddfa Cymru; Supplied by The Public Catalogue Foundation

Birds eye view of Cardiff Docks, 1894

Author: BALLINGER, John Sir
Title Cardiff: an illustrated handbook. [By various contributors.] Edited by J. Ballinger
Publisher: Western Mail
Place of Publication: Cardiff
Date of Publication: 1896
Page: 49

Morning- the Glamorgan Canal, C.1900

THOMAS, Edgar Herbert (1862 – 1936)
Media- oil on board
Size- 30.0 x 45.3 cm
Acquired- 1938;
Gift; Mrs Wyand
Accession Number- NMW A 3282_National Museum Wales

 

St Mary Street, 1885

Ely subway, 1900

Penarth’s pedestrian subway ran beneath the River Ely from what is now Plas Pamir, to the area where Cardiff Bay Yacht Club now stands. The tunnel allowed pedestrians, including sailors and dockworkers, to cross the river Ely.

Lewis and Hunter coaling cranes, 1896

Author: BALLINGER, John Sir
Title: Cardiff: an illustrated handbook. [By various contributors.] Edited by J. Ballinger

Publisher: Western Mail
Place of Publication: Cardiff
Date of Publication: 1896
Page: 73

The fishpond in Roath Park, 1911

It was filled in and grassed over in 1935

Mill lane canal boat, C.1900

Shark man ‘Paulo’, Ely river C.1910

Paulo Radmilovic, originally from Butetown, won four Olympic gold medals between 1908 and 1920.

Radmilovic was born on March 5, 1886, in the Glastonbury Arms pub in Bute Street.

His father was from Dubrovnik, Croatia, and mother was Irish. Radmilovic first discovered a love for water when he went for a swim in the Glamorganshire Canal that ran alongside his home in Bute Street.

Period 1921 — 1922

Docks of the GWR cover, 1931

(Cover of fold out map)

‘Fire Queen’ – Cardiff fire service float, C.1930

View of the Cardiff Fire Service float with three firemen on board. On the Glamorgan Canal passing thatched lock cottage.

Cardiff bay, 1930

Areal photograph of Cardiff Bay.

(Photo taken from poster on the Taff river aqua bus boat on a rainy day)

Pierhead 1923

Ely river, C.1930

Bridge hotel in background, now know as the Bridge Inn

Glamorgan Canal boat, 1912

Near Cambrian Patent Fuel works North Rd

Period 1949 — 1954

Bernice’ memory of the canal on Mill lane being filled in.

Bridge over the canal

Lewis’ memories of the floods in Witchurch, Cardiff, by the Gabalfa estate, which was caused by the river Taff flooding. It was the early 1960’s and Lewis was 6 or 7.

The Docklands Before The Bay, 1970 (Judy)

Judy’s memories of The Docklands, where she was born as a child, after her house was compulsory purchased and she moved with her family to  Rumney.

Floating a boat in Rumney ‘reens’ 1970’s (Judy)

Cardiff Junction Dry Dock, 1950s

by P. M. McCabe

Oil on board, 45.8 x 59.7 cm

(c) National Museum of Wales / Amgueddfa Cymru; Supplied by The Public Catalogue Foundation

Domestic Intelligence, river Ely, 1857

West Side of River Ely

Liverpool Mercury etc (Liverpool, England), Wednesday, June 3 1857; Issue 2990

19th Century British Newspapers, Cardiff library local studies (online resources)

Import / Export data, 1938-59

Source: South Wales Ports, 1960 British Transport commission, Held at National Waterfront Museum, Swansea

Construction of Walnut tree viaduct, nr Taffs Well, 1969

Newspaper cutting from the South Wales Echo, March 12th, 1969. Article with 2 photos showing the construction of the Walnut Tree viaduct in 1898.

Source: Nantgarw

The Entrance to West Dock, 1957

Cardiff Bay

Charles Byrd. Oil on canvas, 51.5 x 75 cm. Collection: Cardiff Council

(c) Charles Byrd; Supplied by The Public Catalogue Foundation

 

Sailing Ship, West Dock, 1950s

Cardiff Bay

Charles Byrd. Oil on canvas, 59.5 x 76 cm. Collection: Cardiff Council

(c) Charles Byrd; Supplied by The Public Catalogue Foundation

Sand Hopper, East Dock, 1960

Cardiff Bay

Charles Byrd. Oil on canvas, 51.5 x 98 cm. Collection: Cardiff Council

(c) Charles Byrd; Supplied by The Public Catalogue Foundation

East Dock, Cardiff Bay, 1957

Charles Byrd. Oil on sack cloth, 60.5 x 84 cm
Collection: Cardiff Council

(c) Charles Byrd; Supplied by The Public Catalogue Foundation

The Brewery and Paper Mill, Ely, 1950s

Charles Byrd. Oil on canvas, 57 x 80 cm
Collection: Cardiff Council

(c) Charles Byrd; Supplied by The Public Catalogue Foundation

The Brewery and Paper Mill, Ely, 1950s

Ely (Cardiff)

Charles Byrd. Oil on canvas, 66 x 80 cm
Collection: Cardiff Council

(c) Charles Byrd; Supplied by The Public Catalogue Foundation

Sophia Gardens, 1950s

By the river Taff, over Canton bridge

Charles Byrd. Collection: Cardiff Central Library

The Weir, Llandaff, 1950s

Llandaff (Cardiff)

Charles Byrd. Oil on canvas, 51 x 62 cm
Collection: Cardiff Council

(c) Charles Byrd; Supplied by The Public Catalogue Foundation

Channel View from Leckwith, 1950s

Leckwith (Cardiff)

Charles Byrd. Oil on canvas. 44 x 60 cm
Collection: Cardiff Council

(c) Charles Byrd; Supplied by The Public Catalogue Foundation

Cardiff sea lock, 1967

Panoramic of Cardiff Bay from Docks, C.1950

Coal conveyor belt, Roath dock, 1945

28 May 1945
Source: Nantgarw

Glamorganshire canal, Mill lane, C.1940

Looking south

Churchill way – docks feeder being covered, C.1949

The Dock Feeder Canal was constructed around 1840 in order to supply water to the Docks in Cardiff Bay so that they could be operated even when the tide was out. This gave  Cardiff one of the world’s first 24-hour docks and led to a rapid expansion of commerce and population in the city during the mid-19th Century.

Map of docks C.1960

Source: South Wales Ports, 1960 British Transport commission

Map of docks, C.1960

Source: South Wales Ports, 1960 British Transport commission

Period 2015

Under the bridge, Penarth road, 2015

The ground under the Penarth road bridge over the Taff in Grangetown was until recently strewn with hypodermic needles. It was too dangerous for kids to play there.

A local resident came up with a creative solution and contacted Natural Resources Wales and the council’s anti social team and eventually they sent a digger down to dig up the earth underneath the bridge where the needles used to be. This meant that the river water naturally filled the space, so that there was nowhere for anyone to stand or sit, apart from when the barrage lets in a lot of water out and the level of the Taff drops significantly.

Grangemore Park Pond, 2015 (Park Ranger)

Cardiff Council’s Grangemore Park Ranger talking about the Grangemore Park pond and it’s November clean up.
Photos of the clean up can be seen by clicking here 

Russ remembers birds using the river Taff as a guide coming in from Flat Holm and Steep Holm island scouring for food from the city streets and then returning back again in the evening.

In 1995 Russ and a friend managed to pull 20 flagstone slabs out of the mud of the tidal river Taff up the banks of river with some rope, to use to make a patio in the back garden of their house opposite.  He believes that the slabs were paving dumped in the river by the council workers when the river was straightened in 1850.

Employee of Natural Resources Wales talking about the footage they have captured of fish passing through the fish pass at Sluice gate 5, Cardiff Bay Barrage.  The pass was built after the construction of the Bay to allow fish to complete their natural cycle, coming back from sea, via the Bay and smelling their way to up either the Ely or Taff river to spawn.

Greener Grangetown Scheme, 2016 (Ian)

Ian talks about the Greener Grangetown Scheme, which aims to create porous, green areas and public water gardens along the streets in the Taff Embankment area of Grangetown, to help manage rain water and create a greener, healthier urban residential space.

Toad from the Taff, Grangetown, 2015 (Jo)

Every year for the last 4 years of so a toad has climbed up the river embankment, crawled across the grass and a busy road to arrive on Jo’s doorstep in Grangetown.  She wonders should she kiss is?

Hackerford Road, Cyncoed

Waterhall Road, Pentrebane

Fordwell, Llandaff

Brookfield Drive, Trowbridge

Trowbridge Road, Trowbridge

A Trow was a type of Cargo boat found in the past on the rivers Severn and Wye and used to transport goods

Trowbridge Green, Trowbridge.

A Trow was a type of Cargo boat found in the past on the rivers Severn and Wye and used to transport goods

Ely tunnel entrance, 2015

Paper intervention, by Deimante Auksoriute, for ‘Dis-Used Spaces’ exhibition.

The Ely subway was built between 1897 and 1899, opening in 1900, used by workers travelling between Grangetown and Penarth Docks. It was built under the line of the ferry which ran across the river.

Quite an engineering feat, at its deepest point it is 50ft below the River Ely. It runs down steeply from the Grangetown side and then twists around with a gentle rise.

It is 1250ft in length, and when it was open it was notoriously dark, with the light bulbs hanging from the roof frequently smashed. People carried torches or listened out for bicycles coming the other way, while there was also water dripping in which had to be pumped out. Both entrances were bricked up in 1963 but there were thoughts of re-opening it 20 years ago as it is still structurally sound if requiring a lot of money to bring it up to standards.

The Grangetown entrance now lies within the Cardiff Yacht Club and the Penarth Docks entrance is where the marina is.

Willowbrook Drive, St Mellons

Docks Feeder, next to Cardiff Central railway, 2014

Areal view of the docks feeder off Herbert street. The feeder is not currently publicly accessible and there is commercial building work taking place around it.

Update (2015): A car-park has been built close to the feeder, it’s back faces the feeder.

Cardiff Central Sewers, CF11, 2014

Map of the sewers of central Cardiff, provided by Welsh Water

Foreshore Road, Splott

Tidal Sidings, Splott

Ocean Way, Splott

Fairwater Road, Fairwater

Waterhouse Drive, Grangetown

Waterford Close, Grangetown

Ty-Nant Street, (Stream House Street)  Grangetown

[dooodl_creator]

Period Future

Your city

Drag the images onto the map. Click the 'I'm finished' button to send us a screenshot.

I'm finished